5.13.2008

On Becoming a Gym Convert

It has been about a month since David and I joined the gym. I am proud to say that I have become a convert -- I like going to the gym.

I have always had a perhaps unfair prejudice towards gym culture, especially in New York. Most of my friends in New York belong to gyms and work out regularly, which is sort of what you're supposed to do when you're young and attractive in New York -- run a lot, on treadmills or in the park or along the Westside Highway (or all of the said locations), along with the occasional step class, the yoga class, the spinning class and, of course, weight training. In fact, being young isn't even a factor. So many people have personal trainers, young and old; some of the elite, luxury fitness establishments are practically funded by the attendance of moneyed Upper Eastside women and the like. New York is an active city, and there are gyms everywhere, almost like Starbuck's.

I played a lot of sports growing up and in high school, but I gave this up when I got to college. I don't know what the gym at Princeton looks like, I've never set foot in it, unless you count registration and the ballroom dance class room. In New York, I've had roommates who worked out religiously, come and go from gyms. They impressed me, but did not inspire me enough to go along. Gyms in my mind have had an image of being sweaty, kind of smelly, stifled-aired space full of self-conscious fit people or wannabe fit people, where interaction may be unavoidable, what with the sharing of and waiting for equipments. Gyms in New York also have a certain reputation for being pick-up spots. These notions of gym culture creeped me out, and I had no desire to participate. And let's face it, I was lazy. I preferred to count walking while shopping an cardiovascular activity; I tried to eat sensibly (relatively) and hoped that my metabolism was good enough to at least keep me from ballooning despite the cocktails and wines. I joined Exhale for a short period, but Exhale is like a spa -- a luxury spa, not at all like a gym. And even this was short-lived, since I found it hard to go to classes and, really, with my back issues, I discovered I needed a more monitored approach with pilates-based exercises (which is what Exhale offers).

Over some time, I'd developed and mastered an aversion towards gyms.

But this has all changed! A month into my membership at the gym, I have become one of those people who tries to go to the gym almost everyday, if she can, maybe at least 4 times a week. I've got my trusty nano iPod, my music selections best suited for my cardio or cross training on the elliptical, and series of weight machines I like to use. I'm even able to go to the gym without David and not be too shy or paranoid. (Although it's always better to go with David, who is basically my personal trainer.)

And I've come to be intrigued by the gym culture -- the actual one that I am part of. Our gym is never too crowded, which great. It's very well-kept, cleaned constantly, has great air-flow and even good lighting. A lot of the members are residents of our apartment building, and they seem harmless, although there are the occasional grunting muscle-y muscle men who are a tad scary. I have come to recognize a few people, the regulars, and they seem to have taken notice of me, too. David and I have developed a series of workouts, and are adding bits all the time. My physiotherapist noted that I've gotten more back muscles, which is great, since not too long ago, she'd told me that my back muscles had "atrophied" and this was part of my back pain problem. I had exercises to do at home, but have never gotten the results like I have going to the gym in terms of strengthening. You can even catch me checking out the definition on my arms and while I do pull-downs. I really enjoy and appreciate the gym now.

So much so that we are joining a gym in London, where we will be for an entire month. An entire month without going to the gym? What used to be the normal course of things now seems impossible. And this is a good thing.

No comments: